Sunday, August 24, 2014




So not much habit forming going on in the form of this blog.

I last wrote on another plane:

"So back up in the air on my way back from Udon Thani to Bangkok.  I seem to spend a lot of time on domestic  aeroplanes these days so good job they are only short flights.

Hopefully I’ll have a change of scenery through switching hotels from the Phatumwan Princess to the Novotel on Siam.

Not much to blog about, really.  Had some blueberries and raspberries so fruit is now up to 8 varieties, I believe.  Will have to make a concerted effort over the weekend.

I’d like to track down some silver and then I’ll have to wait for further investments as I’ve run out of money to invest in anything!
Sport.  Going to try to play 50 different sports in the time between now and my 50th birthday.

The first will be:

Badminton, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, tennis, squash, golf, 5km race, 200m breast stroke

Just need to work out how to organise them competitively so they count for something."

Now I'm actually on the ground and blogging 'live'.  I'm in Chumphon in the South of Thailand, for work-related reasons, which involves filming at a couple of schools here tomorrow.

Chumphon is quite a big town with plenty of the usual shops and food stalls and things you'd expect to find in a typical provincial Thai town.  What I like about it is the fact that it is near a beach called Wua Laen and that is where I'll be headed in a few hours from now on my rented Vespa.  

I visited this place just over 7 years ago where I took part in some kind of fasting malarkey at a so-called, 'wellness spa' - not sure if I was blogging then but would be interesting to look back and check if I documented my experiences.  I lasted 3 out of the 7 planned days and needless to say was very hungry.  I recall vividly to this day how absolutely delicious the fruit salad they gave me to break my fast was.  The tastes of the fruits were accentuated by the fact that I'd had nothing but a thin bowl of broccoli and garlic 'soup' (was more like gruel) each evening after the day's abstinence.

Anyway, the place has probably gone now or changed hands as many businesses seem to do in the less 'touristy' parts of the coast of Thailand but I shall nevertheless check it out to see if the irritatingly happy and healthy, yoga practising, foreign couple are still there.  

To be continued, hopefully with tales of fresh crab and other seafood delights.  I had some amazingly fresh and delicious prawns and shellfish at the seafood market at the back of Takiab Temple on Takiab beach, photos of which one can see below, along with some of the guesthouse I stayed at near Hua Hin beach.










No comments: